Subj: RE: Walking boots
Date: 3/4/2008 3:56:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
From: Jim
To: The Official Shadow People Archives

It happened in Schweinfurt West Germany in 1985. I was in the Army and decided that I wanted to move out of the barracks and into my own apartment. I went to the American housing office so that they could help me to find an apartment in town and assist with the language barrier. Shown three different apartments, I decided on the convenient one near downtown and close to the Army base. I was excited. I had my own apartment in downtown Schweinfurt and life was good...or so I thought. Almost immediately I felt uncomfortable when in my bedroom. I felt as though I was being watched and it sent chills through my body.

One night I awoke and had the sensation that I was being held down and suffocated. I could not scream or move and I know I was awake and started to pray in my thoughts thinking I was going to die. As soon as the prayer started, I was able to move and breathe. It was about 3 AM and I did not sleep the rest of the night and convinced myself it must have been a dream.

A couple of nights later I was awakened again by a feeling of dread and my room was freezing. Looking up at the corner of the ceiling I saw what appeared to be a black shadow or mist. I was so scared that I jumped out of bed and ran to the living room and turned on all the lights.

The next day at work I was so tired and disheveled that my Sergeant asked me if I was O.K. I told him about the shadow and the incident when I couldn’t breathe or move. He re-assured me it was a dream the 1st time and that caused my imagination to go into overtime the 2nd night. I no longer slept in the bedroom and all was fine for about a week.

One evening I was watching TV and shining my boots by the television light. Everything was cool. Then I heard what sounded like a door opening down the hall where my bedroom was. Then a sound like footsteps walking slowly down the hall toward the living room where I was. I suddenly had goose bumps come up all over my arms and the hair stood up on my arms and the back of my neck. It was dark in the hallway and the only light in the apartment was the grayish/white light coming from the TV. The footsteps got closer and louder until they stopped at the opening into the living room. My second pair of Army boots was now in the hallway with nobody else there. They walked by themselves.

That was it, I ran like the devil was chasing me out of the apartment and to a friend’s house. The next day I told my Sarge what happened and he said I should go the base Chaplain. The Chaplain asked me where the apartment was. I told him and he looked at me like he had heard this before. It turns out that I was not the 1st American to experience this. Another family had similar experiences in this apartment and because of that, no Americans were to ever be shown this apartment again. Somehow this command was not obeyed and I fell victim to this terrible place.

It turns out that another house used to stand at the site of my apartment and was destroyed by an aerial bombardment during WW II, a man and a woman were killed. This is all true and when I tell it no one ever takes me seriously. Twenty-three years later I still wake up at night to any odd noise and that feeling of terror returns.